Who we are: We are a group of very concerned parents and educators with students across all grade levels in Glen Ellyn.
Mission: To educate all District 41 parents about the district’s Think Tank initiative and their plans for changing the structure of Ben Franklin, Churchill, Forest Glen, and Abraham Lincoln elementary schools.
We want the school day and the classroom structure to remain as-is, with these suggestions for improvement:
- Hire more specialists to work with kids (reading, math, gifted) in one grade level.
- Science lab or real-time science materials for classroom teachers.
- More teacher training and mentoring for differentiation for 21st century learning.
- Open the accelerated math program to more kids or change the gifted model.
- Get rid of Everyday Math and adopt a program that lends itself better to differentiation.
- Set the bar high for all kids, and they will all rise to the top.
- Implement STEM/STEAM to meet new national standards.
- New technology such as more laptops and iPads for every student.
- We want to see sound educational research that supports ALL parts of the Think Tank’s model.
- Proper planning time for teachers to plan to create, differentiate and integrate, not just to spend in meetings.
This can all still be done with one teacher classrooms!
What The District Proposes
Since its original presentation to the public in November 2012 this model continues to evolve.